Diabetes is in most cases an incurable disease. Therefore, education of diabetic patients plays a very important role, because most of the activities related to monitoring of the metabolic control, lifestyle and course of the treatment as well as adjustments of the treatment according to the current state and the lifestyle is executed by the patient.
The functional scheme of the Education Centre covers:
- existing standards of the therapeutic education for diabetic patients,
- targeted education programs for different groups of diabetic patients such like: newly diagnosed type 1 and type 2 diabetes, unstable / difficult diabetes, patients with Diabetic Foot Syndrome, elderly diabetic patients, pregnant diabetic women, etc.
The following stages compose the basic program of his module:
- Collection the data related to main problems of the patent and her / his educational needs,
- Initial education,
The Education Module will operate as a separate component of the CENTER but it will be bounded with the Central Module, in which the educating team will be able to acquaint with:
- patient’s personal data,
- results of an interview related to diabetes diagnosis, treatment and complications,
- results of an interview related to other / concurrent diseases,
- information regarding history of past education of the patient.
From the practical standpoint, educational program consists of:
- Computerized test of patient’s knowledge and behavior related to diabetes
- Basic and specialized theme educational modules
Part of the educational program of the CENTER is based on model-based diabetic patient’s simulator KADIS®, developed in Gerhardt Katsch Institute of Diabetes, University of Greifswald (Karlsburg, Germany) and which has been adapted to the requirements of the CENTER by its authors.
Education Module. Identification of patient’s problems and pro-health behavior.
Education Module. Initial education regarding diet.
Education Module. On-line educational programs and services.
Education Module. KADIS® Simulator.